Sunday, September 16, 2007

#38 How it went with SFD '07

StraightShootinComputin
by Jeff Smith

    First off, I'm happy to say I'm writing this from a laptop that was given to me just today by my mother-in-law.  I plan to put it to good use!  Thanks Sherry!
    Secondly, I'd like to tell everyone how it went with Software Freedom Day.  And to start that, I must start out with an apology.  It seems a few people called asking when we would be starting up, and my wife told them that we'd be getting out there around 9am.  But unfortunately, it was a classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, because my plans were to get out there at about 1pm.  Not because I'm a lazy cuss, (which I am) but because I knew we'd be up late the night before burning off CD after CD in order to give away.  We finished up the night before, which I am tenuously calling Software Freedom Day Eve, at about 3:30am. 
    So no, 9am just wasn't going to work.  So to those of you who were looking for us out there early Saturday morning.  I am really sorry.  I'm sure your distress was causing me some troubled dreams.
    We went out there with just under 100 CD's and only managed to give out about 40 of them.  It probably would have went better had we gotten out there earlier.  My wife even baked some Open Source Oatmeal Raisin cookies for the event! (the recipe *should* be on the blog by the time you're reading this, so if you wanna "compile" some cookies for yourself at home, you can)
    It seemed that a lot of people just assumed that we were trying to sell something and avoided us just on principle.  But for those of you who did take the time to come over and get a cookie and some software, thanks for taking the time to do so.
    Next year we hope to do a better job of it.  And I'll make a point to have all of the preparations done in advance so that come next Software Freedom Day Eve, I can be snuggled, all warm, in my bed while visions of penguins dance in my head.  In other words, I'll get an earlier start.

I don't see why you people put up with me.  Anyway...

NEXT WEEK:  Back to tips on video editing, as promised.
 
If you're having PC problems and need some help, call (270) 866-7608 (before 8pm) to set up an appointment and I'll be happy to come help!
See my ad elsewhere in this paper for rates!


Questions or comments:
straightshootincomputin@yahoo.com
Past articles:
http://straightshootincomputin.blogspot.com




  


Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

No comments:

Vote for my Ubuntu Brainstorm Idea!!!

Do you think it would be a great idea to have a specific version of Ubuntu designed for kids and parents? Filled with fun games and parental control features to keep your little ones safe? Join Ubuntu Brainstorm and vote!