Monday, March 31, 2008

SSC #59 General News

    Hiyah again folks, hope you're having a good week.  Its been pretty crazy around here.   I've made the first baby steps at trying to learn the computer programming language Python.  Its a very powerful and versatile language that is used in Windows Linux and Macintosh systems.  In case you're wondering, it is named after Monty Python, not the huge African snake.  I'm hoping that by learning it I can make some headway on creating the Kidbuntu Linux disk I talked about earlier.
    Also, at the time this will see print, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron will have less than twenty days left before release.  I've already cleaned out a partition on my hard drive in anticipation of installing it.  This version will come with the ability to be installed from within Windows so I'll be trying that option out and I'll be sure to pass along my experiences with that function as well as a full review of the rest of the release.
    In other news, you may remember me writing about a new Radiohead album back in October called In Rainbows.  I just found out this weekend that they'll begin touring the USA in a couple weeks.
    Unfortunately the closest place to see them on the tour is in St. Louis Missouri.  I'm going to be trying very very hard to make the trip, so wish me luck there.  I've only been to St. Louie once and that was via Greyhound, so I wasn't driving at the time.  It should be an adventure.
    Also, I have decided, after long deliberation, that I am going to change my ISP.  I have gotten my internet service from Duo County for almost two years now, and while I've not had any problems with their service--it has been very reliable--they do not have the option of getting broadband internet without either having their cable service or their phone service. 
    In my house we don't watch TV, and my wife and I both have cellphones, so in essence, I can lower my monthly bills by $30 by dropping the house phone and signing up with Vortex Wireless. 
    Vortex Wireless is due to come by the house sometime this week and check to see if they can get a good signal here, which I'm pretty confident won't be a problem.  If all goes well, I'll be getting their dish installed on the side of my house.
    But here is the kicker.  In order to save up the $150 installation fee (and go see Radiohead) I'm going to be without internet service for a little while.  How ever will I survive?  Will I become like some junky who has lost his dealer?  Nah, I think it will be a good thing.  Maybe catch up on some reading.
    Don't worry I'm still going to be writing my articles, I will just have to submit them from somewhere other than home.  If I happen to miss a week, I apologize in advance.  And if you're one of my friends who I will have to borrow access from in order to submit my articles, I apologize to you too. 
    When all is said and done, I should have a new Internet Service Provider.  I'll be sure to tell you all how it went.

    Just so that this article isn't a waste, I would like to pass on a recommendation from a friend.  Bobby Espinoza is a good friend of mine and I taught him everything he knows about computers, but he did me a good turn last week by suggesting I try out a Firefox addon called Cooliris Previews.
    From their page - "Cooliris Previews gives you the power to browse and share Web links and rich media faster. Just mouse over any link, and the Cooliris preview window immediately appears to show you the content. To email it, just click."
    So if you're a Firefox user, be sure to get Cooliris Preview.  It is mighty handy.  If you're not sure how to get Addons for your Firefox, just go to https://addons.mozilla.org.  Its really really really easy.  Really.

    Oh, almost forgot, I redesigned the StraightShootinComputin webpage, to make it a little easier to read.  Be sure to drop by and check it out.  Feel free to leave a comment to let me know what you think of the new look!   http://straightshootincomputin.blogspot.com

If you have a question or comment, feel free to email me at
straightshootincomputin@yahoo.com






You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

No comments:

Vote for my Ubuntu Brainstorm Idea!!!

Do you think it would be a great idea to have a specific version of Ubuntu designed for kids and parents? Filled with fun games and parental control features to keep your little ones safe? Join Ubuntu Brainstorm and vote!